Maui Windsurfing Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2006

You want wind? We got wind to spare!

Very windy weekend here on Maui. Winds have straightened out a little bit to a slightly more normal direction the last two days. Yesterday we saw wind in the 4.2 - 4.7 range for most guys. Pretty gusty, still light on the inside and really strong outside. Water really choppy, not much wave action to speak of.

Today was a bit like yesterday, but on steroids. Readings on the wind graph were already averaging 30 by midday. I went down anyway thinking things might mellow a bit. Conditions by all accounts were nuclear under gray skies and the constant threat of rain showers. Guys today were on 4.0s and 4.2s mostly. Nobody stayed out very long and nobody seemed to like it very much. Me? I didn't even bother to rig. Just didn't look any fun. Somehow ambling down the aisles of Costco with 1,000 other people seemed more fun. As it turned out, I saw several Maui local windsurfers doing the exact same thing. Looking at the wind graphs at the end of the day, the wind stayed above 29 most of the day, with a bried stint into the mid-30s with readings of 35 and 36, gusting into the mid-40s.

1 Comments:

  • WIMP!
    I rigged a 4.2 after convincing my better half to give me a half hour to play rather than just turning around and driving back upcountry. I could have stayed out longer, since I was having so much fun, but figured I better not test her patience. It was windy, windy, windy. Probably could have use something smaller, but had a good time with the 4.2 - you did need to be careful, though. If you got hurt or broke something, you'd probably end up down past the harbor. Even the turtles were having fun. I spotted a pair mating out past uppers in the rolling swell, and they sure seeming to be smiling. Turtles CAN smile, can't they?

    Speedy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home