Maui Windsurfing Blog

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Patience Pays Off

Pretty wacky day of wind at Kanaha today. Midday readings looked very promising, with averages in the mid-20s. Got to Kanaha to see people coming off of the water saying it was dropping off. Sure enough, the wind soon dropped to virtually nothing. The iWindsurf graphs prove it too, showing the wind drop down to about 4 or 5 for an average and from an SE direction. No wonder the water was glassy. Usually I would have bailed, but I hung around. Around 4:00ish the wind was hinting at coming back and a few guys went out. I still had my 5.3 rigged so I decided to give it a try though I wasn't expecting much. But, to my pleasant surprise I was able to get planing, and after a few reaches of kinda funky wind, it settled in a bit and even built to a very powered 5.0 range. Very cool. But the best part was we actually had some very small north swell today. It was mushy and unorganized, but a nice surprise and fun to actually bottom turn instead of going backside all the time.

Judging from Norm's comment in the previous post, Hookipa was probably the place to be today. Bigger, smoother waves yesterday and the wind looks like it was more consistent though a little lighter today so it was probably decent 5.7ish again today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home