Maui Windsurfing Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Weekend Wind Report

Yesterday morning I was pretty dubious about the prospects for wind, but I was pleasantly surprised when the trades kicked in late in the morning. My wife was due to teach her 79-year old windsurfing student at Sugar Cove again so Sugar Cove was the default venue. When we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see some small remnant north swell rolling in at Sprecks. It was infrequent and small, but a site for sore eyes. The wind was on the light side so 5.7/90L was my sail/board choice. Headed to Sprecks to try to get some of that action, but the sets just weren't coming in so I cruised up to Spartan reef where I had seen some waves coming in too. Got one or two rides on some small waves, but I think the waves must have been elsewhere. From what I hear, Hookipa was about shoulder high and offshore yesterday. Looking downwind, it looked like Kanaha had some good sets. I'll have to rely on a report from Speedy or someone else who sailed there yesterday to find out what I missed.

Today was an early session at Kanaha - 5.0 and big board again to get through the holes. A lot of guys chose 5.3 and smaller boards which I think was probably the better call. Up at Uppers and Camp One, there were some occasional north swell sets coming in, though most of them were pretty sloppy and unorganized. My best ride of the day I got three bottom turns in on one wave, but most of them mushed out after about one bottom turn. When it got a little crowded at Uppers, I headed up to Camp One to sail with some Team Gaastra folks - Matt, Erin and Jazz. The waves and water in general were much smoother - and there were only 5 us up there. Sweeet! Should have gone further upwind earlier.

Conditions are looking like winds will build a bit through the early part of the week - high presssure to our north looks to be establishing itself for a nice bout of trades for the next week or so.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home